Tuesday, August 2, 2022

July 1997 - Visits

In college I spent the summers doing internships, so Gram continued to send me cards.  It was something I could count on pretty much every week.

July 1, 1997

I have just helped Grampa get dressed.  He is going to buy a new lawn mower with his son Rich.  Uncle Dick is supposed to stop out for a short visit - haven't seen him in quite a while.  Then Aunt Joanne is coming over to "Aunt sit" while Grampa and I go out to lunch.  I'm still looking for some sort of miracle to solve the Aunt G. situation.  To top off everything, Uncle Donald called & wants me to come give him a haircut - isn't it great to be in such demand.  Guess I'd feel bad if I weren't.


July 7, 1997

Today we went to the outskirts of Springfield, MA.  And got lost.  We were all around where we wanted to be, and if I were a drinking woman I would have wanted a drink.  I was all for just coming back home - but we hung in there and got to the house (Greg & Angie's).  Mick came over on Sat. and did lots of odds and ends - one was washing the window.  What a big difference - for a while anyway.

Grammie was notorious for not having a good sense of direction!  Grampa joked he always had to send her out with a full tank of gas - just in case she got lost.  This time she must have been with Grampa, and they still got lost!  With Google maps and GPS, getting lost is a 'lost art' nowadays.  I often wonder what Gram would have made of that technology.  I think she would have loved going for drives along new backroads, getting lost - and then being assured she could find her way back with the touch of a button.  What mischief she might have gotten into!  I bet she would have discovered all sorts of little hidden gems among the county roads.

July 14, 1997

Well, the walk-in shower was to be put in today, but it has been postponed till tomorrow - so another day for Grampa to sponge bathe.  I'm trying to get a few things done before it gets too warm.  I just don't care for the hot weather.  It was nice spending her 20th birthday with my best friend.

My birthday is July 13, so I must have come home to celebrate!  Grammie always remembered birthdays.  She had a special little calendar book with everyone's birthdays marked on it.  You can guess that even if she couldn't be with all her progeny and friends to celebrate, she certainly sent a card. 💖


No comments:

Post a Comment