Thursday, May 12, 2022

Frustrations, Jan/Feb 1997

After a hiatus, I am back to transcribing Gram's letters.  This series from early 1997 reveals some frustrations that we all experience: unpleasant weather, unwanted advice, unfinished home projects....  As usual, Gram writes about them with humor and matter-of-factness.

 Jan. 16, 1997  
Welcome back to school!  Just as I began writing this the lights went out.  So now I have a bunch of candles lighting the way.  It sure is pouring.  Glad it's not snow.  I was going to clean off some of the shelves today, but doing things such as that by candlelight, won't work out too well.  Our backyard looks like a swimming pool, only it's kinda chilly to go swimming.

Jan. 20, 1997
I finally found a "hutch" for those beautiful rose dishes.  I had lots of fun putting things in it, but Grampa was sitting there giving unwanted advice.  Today while he is down cellar, I'll fix things as I want them.  It was so nice and sunny out and I'm sure it is warming up.  I can't wait to get outside  Maybe we'll have a January thaw.  The outdoor fireplace is full of wood so we'll have a hotdog roast.

Jan. 27, 1997
It looks like such a beautiful day, but the paper says snow.  Guess we will have to take what we get.  Grampa has just finished making a couple of birdhouses out of some old tree "knots."  Guess the birds won't mind.  Our porch is still not any further along, although the man did come out to measure for insulation.  He just didn't say what month he would be back to install it.  Now I must get dressed and see what mischief I can get into today.

Feb. 3, 1997
Yesterday was such a beautiful day, and we went to Scotland, Ct. for breakfast - a very pretty ride in the county.  The fields are all brown now and all the stone walls were in such good repair.  It all looked so neat.  I like the brown fields as well, if not better, than the green fields, with their promise of Spring.


There is now insulation in the porch ceiling - but no sheet rock yet.  I am getting very impatient, and I'd like to crack a few heads - but I guess that won't get me anywhere.

 Feb. 10, 1997
Your letter took 12 days to get here.  I think it came by wheelbarrow.  We have had some pleasant days but because we are going to Vt. on Thurs. - WATCH FOR SNOW!  It's generally like going into another world.  Yesterday we went to see Uncle Donald in Farmington, then stopped to see your Mom, Dad, and Beth.  Then it was on home to Lebanon but we stopped at a restaurant in Hebron for supper.  The smell of frying food was awful.  I had to take off most of my clothes as soon as we got home - I smelled!  Don't think we'll stop at that place again.

The porch is NOT finished.  I would like it done in my lifetime.

With the benefit of hindsight I can assure you that the porch does eventually get done!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I love these! Can just see Fran saying it all, appreciating nature, observing all, enjoying every minute - & "ready to get into mischief"

    ReplyDelete